About the Local Author Exhibit
About the Local Author Exhibit
The Local Author Exhibit highlights the intellectual and creative accomplishments of writers in the San Diego region. In its 49th year, the aim of the Exhibit is to bring exposure to local talent and nurture the pursuit of the writing arts in San Diego.
A call for submissions goes out in early September alerting all San Diego county authors who have published books in the current year to submit them. The annual deadline for submitting books is the first week of December. Authors may register online at www.sandiegolibrary.org or in person.
The Exhibit is run throughout the entire month of February in the lobby of the Central Library. Participants are invited to attend a special exhibition preview and an author’s reception prior to the public unveiling. Submitted publications are also exhibited in an Online Exhibit that lasts throughout the year and features author information and photos, book cover images, and title and publishing information.
The San Diego Public Library has long hosted special events for authors including book discussions, writing workshops and author talks, where writers are able to interact directly with their readers as they share, sell and sign their books. The Local Author Exhibit is presented for reading interest as well as the opportunity to highlight the diverse and abundant talent we have locally.
For more information about the Local Author Exhibit, including online registration, learn about other events at the San Diego Public Library’s Central Library and 35 branches, find links to numerous additional resources, register or search for materials in the Library’s catalog online at www.sandiegolibrary.org or call the San Diego Public Library at (619) 236-5841. Please contact Rachel Esguerra at email@example.com.
San Diego Author Talks & Events
Watch for Local Author and book-related events through May, 2015. These are automatically linked from and to our Calendar of Events. For more information about the books or authors, please search our Library Catalog. If no events are shown, or you want more information, you can view our Calendar of Events directly.
Register for the 49th Annual Local Author Exhibit 2014
For titles only available in eBook format (i.e. not available in print) select the "eBook Registration Application" link.
For titles available in print format, even if an eBook version exists, select the "Print Registration Application" link.
Only one book per author, please.
San Diego Local Author Exhibit - News & Updates
- The 48th Annual Local Author Exhibit was open at Central Library, on the Ground Floor, from February 1 through February 28, 2014. The exhibit was on continuous display from February 1 - February 28, 2014.
- The Online Local Author Exhibit 2013 is now online. Enjoy!
- Some photos of the 48th Local Author Exhibit are now online in the Photo and Video Gallery.
- The program booklet for the 2013 Local Author Exhibit (PDF) is now published online. You can see the list for each author who participated in 2013's exhibit and their published works.
- At the 2013 Local Author Reception, there was a brief welcoming program with remarks, and the program booklet is now published online. See the cover here, and the text here (both PDF documents).
- 48th Local Author Exhibit - Registration is now closed for the 48th Annual Local Author Exhibit. The exhibit is for San Diego County authors who published a book or books in 2013.
The registration and book submission deadline was extended until December 20, 2013, at 11:59 p.m., and is now closed.
- One Book, One San Diego - Local authors will be interested in our One Book, One San Diego program. A new process for selecting a One Book title has been implemented this year that is designed to increase community participation. Community members are welcome to nominate books through online and paper submissions. The nomination submission period lasts the entire month of March, 2013. The nomination form is available on our partner KPBS' Web site. Paper nomination forms are available at all San Diego Public Library locations. The next One Book selection will be announced in May, 2013. For more about our One Book, One San Diego Program, visit the program page on our Web site.
- See the 47th Annual 2012 Local Author Exhibit press release (PDF). The books are now on display on the 1st Floor of Central Library, through March 3rd, 2013. The exhibit has over 332 authors and 112 co-authors furnishing 398 titles reflecting the diversity of San Diego's population and equally diverse scope of interest. For a PDF copy of the 2012 Local Author Program, please click on the image on the right or click here.
- The 47th Annual 2012 Online Exhibit is now online. You can view it here or click on the tab above.
- Please see the Local Author Talks & News tab below this box, or this link, for updated information about local author talks at our libraries, and more. We now list each month's related author events directly from our Calendar of Events. For more about books, authors, sales, and discussions, please see our full new Calendar of Events.
Local Author Exhibit - Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the Local Author Exhibit?
A. It is an annual exhibit open to present San Diego County residents who published a book in the current year. Qualified participants must currently reside within zip codes 91901-92199.
Q. What is the goal of the Local Author Exhibit?
A. The San Diego Public Library sponsors the Local Author Exhibit to nurture and foster local writing and talent in the Greater San Diego area.
Q. When and where is the Exhibit held?
A. The Exhibit will be on display in the Dickinson Popular Library of the San Diego Central Library @ Joan Λ Irwin Jacobs Common through the month of February 2015. A private preview reception is held to honor participating authors. Authors may bring one (1) guest to the reception. Dress code is business casual.
Q. How many books am I allowed to submit? How many copies do you need?
A. Please submit only one (1) book per author. We need only one copy.
Q. May chapbooks, pamphlets and individual chapters by local authors be submitted?
Except for poetry chapbooks, only books with proper bookbinding may be submitted. Books must look like books. No pamphlets, brochures or stapled material can be accepted.
Q. I just heard about the Exhibit but my book was published before 2014.
A. We’ll accept books published the year before (in 2013) that missed the call for submissions deadline. Books published before 2013 do not qualify.
Q. What is the Online Exhibit?
A. The Online Exhibit showcases authors and their information throughout the year including books, photos, publishers and bios. It opens at the same time as the live Exhibit in February, and closes in December.
Q. Can I submit an ebook?
A. eBooks are accepted as long as they were published in the current year. For display purposes, please submit two (2) versions of the book cover image. Both versions should be high-quality, digital images in portrait layout (not landscape):
1) Size: 418px X 450px with 96 dpi resolution
2) Size: 72px X 108px with 96 dpi resolution
Optional: You may add a black background to your image to meet the size specifications.
Q. My book is in both print and ebook format. Which do you prefer?
A. Please register and submit only the print edition.
Q. How do I participate in the Exhibit?
A. The general call to authors for submission goes out in September every year. All correspondence is done electronically.
Q. What is the deadline to enter the Local Author Exhibit?
A. Registration must be completed and books received by Sunday, November 30, 2014.
Q. Can self-published materials be submitted?
A. Yes. The Exhibit reflects the diversity of the publishing world.
Q. What happens to the books submitted for the Exhibit?
A. All submissions to the Exhibit become gifts to the San Diego Public Library and are reviewed by librarians for possible inclusion in the collection in accordance with library collection guidelines. eBooks cannot be added unless they are available through our digital format vendor.
Q. What happens to books not accepted into the San Diego Public Library collection?
Books not added to the collection will be placed in a special Local Author area in the Dickinson Popular Library for check out by the public for one (1) year.