About the Local Author Exhibit
The Local Author Exhibit highlights the intellectual and creative accomplishments of writers in the San Diego region. Beginning its 48th year, the aim of the Exhibit is to bring exposure to local talent and nurture the pursuit of the writing arts in San Diego.
A call for submissions goes out in early fall each year, alerting all San Diego County authors who have published books in the current year to submit them.
The Exhibit will run the entire month of February and be located in the Lobby of the Central Library. While in its 48th year, this will be the first Local Author Exhibit to occur in the beautiful new building. Participants are invited to attend a special exhibition preview and reception prior to the public unveiling. Submitted publications are also exhibited in an online gallery, along with author photos, brief biographies, and brief publishing information.
The San Diego Public Library has long hosted special events for authors --including book discussions, writing workshops, and author talks-- where writers are able to interact directly with their readers as they share, sell, and sign their books. The Local Author Exhibit is presented for reading interest as well as the opportunity to highlight the diverse and abundant talent we have in the San Diego region.
For more information about the Local Author Exhibit, including online registration, please contact the San Diego Public Library at (619) 236-5817, or e-mail Exhibit Assistant Rachel Esguerra.
To learn about other events at the San Diego Public Library's Central Library and 35 branches, to find links to numerous additional resources, to register for a Library card, or to search for materials in the Library's catalog online, visit our Web site at http://www.sandiegolibrary.org/ or call the San Diego Public Library at (619) 236-5800.
REGISTER HERE for 48th Annual Local Author Exhibit
Registration is now open for the 48th Annual Local Author Exhibit. This is for San Diego County authors who published a book or books in 2013. Please use the link below, and complete the registration form to register.
The registration and book submission deadline is December 13, 2013, at 11:59 p.m.
National Novel Writing Month
NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is an annual Internet-based creative writing project which challenges participants to write 50,000 words of a new novel between November 1 and 30 of each year. Its slogan is: Thirty days and nights of literary abandon.
The San Diego Public Library participates in NaNoWriMo by providing cozy community libraries in your neighborhood where you can write your NaNo masterpiece. And at New Central Library, there are lots of computers and cozy places to do your Great American Novel writing.
For more information, and to participate, visit NaNoWrimo at http://www.nanowrimo.org/
San Diego Local Author Exhibit - News & Updates
- 48th Local Author Exhibit - Our 48th Local Author Exhibit is now open. A link posted above goes to the online registration form.
- One Book, One San Diego - Local authors will be interested in our One Book, One San Diego program. A new process for selecting a One Book title has been implemented this year that is designed to increase community participation. Community members are welcome to nominate books through online and paper submissions. The nomination submission period lasts the entire month of March, 2013. The nomination form is available on our partner KPBS' Web site. Paper nomination forms are available at all San Diego Public Library locations. The next One Book selection will be announced in May, 2013. For more about our One Book, One San Diego Program, visit the program page on our Web site.
- See the 47th Annual 2012 Local Author Exhibit press release (PDF). The books are now on display on the 1st Floor of Central Library, through March 3rd, 2013. The exhibit has over 332 authors and 112 co-authors furnishing 398 titles reflecting the diversity of San Diego's population and equally diverse scope of interest. For a PDF copy of the 2012 Local Author Program, please click on the image on the right or click here.
- The 47th Annual 2012 Online Exhibit is now online. You can view it here or click on the tab above.
- Please see the Local Author Talks & News tab below this box, or this link, for updated information about local author talks at our libraries, and more. We now list each month's related author events directly from our Calendar of Events. For more about books, authors, sales, and discussions, please see our full new Calendar of Events.
- Our 46th Annual Local Author 2011 Online Exhibit Online - See the online exhibit tab above, or this link, to enjoy the online version of our Local Author exhibit for 2011.
- If you want to know if these books are in the Library and Catalog for circulation/checkouts, see this excerpt from our Q&A:
Q. What happens to the books submitted for the Exhibit?
A. All submissions to the Exhibit become gifts to the San Diego Public Library for possible inclusion in the collections, based on the Library’s Collection Development Policy and pertinent criteria. Books are distributed for review to librarians with subject expertise in the books’ subject matter.
So, check the Catalog in the next few weeks and months, and the items selected for the Library collections will appear there.
- Photos - For 2011, because of technical difficulties, we were not able to add photos to the online exhibit. Use the links in the entries to see the publisher or Web sites, to see book covers and often author photos, too.
- Pulitzer Prize-winning poet, Rae Armantrout, is honored as the winner of the 2010 Local Author Literary Achievement Award.
- One of the local authors wrote about her experience at the reception on her blog; you can view it here.
- Local Author Exhibit Breaks Record, San Diego Public Library Showcases, Nurtures, Strongly Supports Local Writing - The 45th year of the Local Author Exhibit produced the largest turnout ever, with 266 authors and 83 co-authors furnishing 320 titles reflecting the diversity of San Diego?s population and equally diverse scope of interest. Read the full press release (PDF).
- More than 250 local authors submitted over 300 book titles published in 2010.
SDPL Author Talks & Events
Enjoy the Local Author and book-related events through November 2013. These are automatically linked from and to our Calendar of Events. For more information about the books or authors, please search our Library Catalog. If no events are shown, or you want more information, you can view our Calendar of Events directly.
2012 Local Author Exhibit Files
Local Author Exhibit - Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the Local Author Exhibit?
A. It is an annual exhibit open to San Diego County residents who published a book in the current year. This year we are honoring those authors who published a book in 2013.
Q. What is the goal of the Local Authors Exhibit?
A. The San Diego Public Library sponsors the Local Author Exhibit to nurture writing and foster local talent in the Greater San Diego area.
Q. How many titles am I allowed to submit?
A. There is no limit on the number of titles submitted by one author, as long as the titles were published in 2013. Only one (1) copy of each title should be submitted to the Library.
Q. Can I submit an E-book?
A. Yes, E-books are accepted as long as the E-books were published in 2013. Please provide a link to your book in the registration form. For display purposes, submit a high-quality, high-resolution digital image of your book cover.
Q. How do I participate in the Exhibit?
A. The general call to authors goes out in September of each year, and an online registration link appears on this guide and site. All correspondence is done electronically, so please provide a valid e-mail address on the online registration form; direct any questions to the Exhibit Assistant, Rachel Esguerra, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619-236-5817.
Q. When and where is the Exhibit held?
A. The Exhibit will be on display in the Lobby of the Central Library through the month of February 2014. A private preview reception is held to honor writers in the Exhibit.
Q. When is the Preview Reception?
A. A private Preview Reception will be held for the local authors in late January 2014. Authors who submit a book will receive an invitation to the reception.
Q. Are guests allowed at the Preview Reception, and what do I wear?
A. Authors may bring one (1) guest to the reception. The dress code is business casual.
Q. What is the timeline for registering for the Local Authors Exhibit?
A. The registration and book submission deadline is December 13, 2013, at 11:59 p.m. Registration opened in September, 2013.
Q. Can self-published materials be submitted?
A. Yes, the Library accepts self-published material. The Exhibit reflects the diversity of the publishing world. All published materials are accepted: self-published, small and independent presses, academic and trade house publishing, etc.
Q. What happens to the books submitted for the Exhibit?
A. All submissions to the Exhibit become gifts to the San Diego Public Library for possible inclusion in the collections, based on the Library’s Collection Development Policy and pertinent selection criteria. Books are distributed for review to librarians with subject expertise in the books’ subject matter.
Q. What is the Online Exhibit?
A. The Online Exhibit began in 2010. It showcases authors and their information throughout the year. It opens at the same time as the live Exhibit in February, and remains online thereafter.